Friday, February 25, 2011

Wax Seal Jewelry

I'm not going to lie to you, this is not the easiest thing I have ever done but when the wax seal charm is done, it's gorgeous!  Many clients ask me if I make them myself... Of course I do! I want to show you how the process works.

I use a PMC that when heated to a certain temperature will turn into pure silver. I use these wax seals to stamp the clay. This is what it looks like before I torch it.

I am particular about the shape so before I torch it I will file it to make it more rounded.  Then I put it on my block and fire it with my torch until it turns a glowing orange.  It will cool faster if I pick it up with my jewelry tweezers and dip it in a cup of water. 

I take my wire brush and burnish it to clean it.  I use my files to file it more until it turns out how I like it.  The worst part of the whole process is giving it that vintage look by oxidizing it.  WOW does it stink!  I use Liver of Sulphur in a very well ventilated area!

Punch a whole and add a ball chain and you've got a gorgeous wax seal charm! Because each wax seal charm is made by hand no two are alike which makes your a One-Of-A-Kind.  How cool is that?

6 comments:

  1. Did you use polymer clay or Psm

    ReplyDelete
  2. PMC3. It took months of trial and error. I tried many different clays and ended up liking PMC3 the best. I love how they all come out different.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You said that you use Polymer clay and "at a certain temperature it turns into pure silver". May I ask what temperature? Do you need to use a Kiln?
    Also, what tool do you use to punch the hole?
    You have very beautiful pieces.

    ReplyDelete
  4. She used PMC "precious metal clay".

    Polymer clay is TOXIC if you burn it.

    Please update your blog to say pmc, not polymer clay.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my! You are absolutely right. Thank you for catching my error!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Where did you get your stamps...I've been looking online for full sets at a decent price. So far they are all over$150. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete